14 August 2008

Social outlets

I have to say that I’m not crazy about quite a bit of Fianarantsoa. Part of it will just take getting used to, but the polluted garbage ridden part will doubtfully grow on me. I just adore where I live though… when I got home (out of breath as always) Mariette (café owner) was standing outside and told me about a group of Greek people that came in today who didn’t speak French or English, but had a great time. I sat down inside for some fresh-squeezed orange juice and talked to Richard (Mariette’s husband) and her son (who’s name I keep forgetting) and talked with them for awhile. They both play guitar so apparently we’re going to have a music night sometime. Then a woman named Nani who lives next door stopped by to see me about joining the church choir. Karen and I talked about it the other day (I asked her about it), so she talked to Nani about it. She made sure to specify that there are no obligations, that it’s ok if I’m gone sometimes, that I don’t need to convert, and that I’ll just be a nice addition to the ‘ambiance’ of the choir. I’ll go to my first rehearsal next Friday.

No comments: